“I appreciate scars. I’ve got a good deal of them.”
The 16th season of Hard Knocks commences with a non-public audience for the viewer and 1 of pro football’s most recognizable stars.
Dak Prescott is conveying the worries of the earlier year and a 50 %. To start with, the tragic demise of his older brother in April of 2020. Then, the compound fracture of his still left ankle six months later. The Cowboys quarterback has produced a entire restoration from the latter, but when he talks about scars, it can be not hard to see he’s referring to extra than just marks on his human body.
Like so lots of of us, Prescott was place by way of the ringer of life in 2020. And like the relaxation of us, he is optimistic for much better periods in 2021 and beyond. The recent tribulations have analyzed him in techniques he never could have imagined, but Prescott is identified to get back handle of his have narrative. That begins on the football discipline, a spot he’s normally viewed as protected harbor. The events of that cursed recreation from the Giants in Oct challenged even that notion, but Prescott stays undeterred. Question has no put in his mindset as a major-tier pro athlete.
“There was a time of adversity,” Prescott says. “Now you will find a season of triumph.”
With that, common strings soar into the mix and David Robidoux’s stirring “Difficult Knocks” topic delivers the goosebumps. Your favored soccer display is back.
NFL Films tried using to combine issues up amidst previous year’s COVID-19 madness, documenting each the Rams and Chargers — the initially time Hard Knocks had covered two teams concurrently. The period presented its regular share of unforgettable moments, but producers have been right to return the demonstrate to its roots in 2021. A large amount of the beauty of Hard Knocks will come via its simplicity. One group. One particular target. Just one journey to Week 1.
And if you might be going to concentration on 1 workforce, you cannot go wrong with the Dallas Cowboys.
The chilly open up with Prescott was an quick reminder why the Cowboys stay fertile subject matter issue inspite of a Super Bowl drought which is now stretched more than a quarter century. When you believe of “America’s Staff,” you feel stars — and that goes beyond the brand on the helmet and at midfield. Prescott has a magnetic high quality to his personality that tends to make him a all-natural chief. His most effective friend is Ezekiel Elliott, the polarizing star functioning again who possesses his possess exclusive manufacturer of charisma. Mike McCarthy delivers gravitas as the only head coach who at any time obtained Aaron Rodgers to the mountaintop. And then, of program, there is Jerry Jones — the franchise’s longtime owner, patriarch, hype gentleman and No. 1 fan.
“I would do anything known to guy to get in a Tremendous Bowl,” Jones claimed through a camp-opening push conference. “Which is a fact.”
Afterwards, Jones choked back tears as he told the enormous throng of assembled media that he could — as a man of enormous prosperity and position — be everywhere in the world, but he chooses the daily grind with his football staff. Jones’ Cowboys have often been about spectacle, and maybe Jones — with the prolonged pauses and glassy eyes — is putting on a demonstrate listed here. But you know he usually means it.
Jones has scars, also. Two and a 50 percent many years of falling shorter have taken a toll on a male who has become otherwise accustomed to acquiring what he needs in daily life. You wondered what was heading via Jones’ head last weekend as he watched Jimmy Johnson give his Hall of Fame speech in Canton. In the early ’90s, Johnson and Jones dominated the soccer world with each other. Johnson retired from the sidelines yrs back to golf in Miami and get that Tv analyst cheese. Jones is nonetheless at it, hoping his quarterback is suitable — the time of triumph is upon his beloved group.
And if it really is not? Ol’ Jerrah will be back again in Oxnard once more next summertime, sitting at a dais in entrance of 50 cameras and 500 reporters, conversing up another Cowboys crew he deeply believes in. For the proprietor, this could possibly all truly feel like Groundhog Day. For us, it truly is Really hard Knocks.
- Welcome to the 16th time of Challenging Knocks and the 10th 12 months of weekly NFL.com recaps from yours really. Converse about Groundhog Working day. As often, I’ll be giving up my insights on every episode from now by means of the finale on Sept. 7. New episodes premiere on HBO and HBO Max each individual Tuesday at 10 p.m. ET. I’ll also be talking about the demonstrate on Wednesday editions of the Around The NFL Podcast.
- Prescott was a in close proximity to-constant presence in the premiere, which can make sense. His return from damage is the largest Cowboys subplot this summer months, and his strained shoulder is the largest news story out of the team’s camp. Toss in a surprise birthday celebration and it was DakTV. Not that I’m complaining. As I wrote earlier mentioned, Prescott has a magnetic enchantment and I relished mastering a lot more about him.
- Talking of Prescott, he was not satisfied about staying limited in his practice function, a final decision that continue to failed to quit the QB from struggling his shoulder harm. The problem: Was the pressure brought on by Prescott accomplishing too substantially, also soon? In a coaches conference, McCarthy pointed out staff “GPS” information that had Prescott’s exercise level in an previously practice at a significantly bigger degree than they had been cozy with.
- It can be awesome to see followers back again at staff tactics and preseason action, is just not it? It truly is fair to question if it is really the most secure conclusion in the midst of an ongoing world-wide wellness crisis, but person, it was oddly comforting to see all individuals Cowboys supporters whooping it up. Sports simply usually are not the exact same devoid of the supporters and the strength we deliver.
- How lovely is the friendship amongst Zeke and Dak? They are the new Rob & Massive. It can be also exceptional that Ezekiel Elliott had in no way attempted to wrap a existing till his 26th yr on Earth. Zeke’s clearly not anyone you at any time required to get in Key Santa.
- I was remaining befuddled by specific groups mentor John “Bones” Fassel, who shipped a half-hearted vasectomy PSA to a bunch of 23-year-previous soccer gamers who seemed at him like he had a 3rd elbow expanding out of his forehead. Fassel also uncovered … he had the process reversed at some issue? Potent Michael Scott vibes in the assembly room.