1) There is a non-zero opportunity that Corey Clement sales opportunities all Giants operating backs in Week 1 touches. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport claimed final 7 days that Saquon Barkley is envisioned back no later than 7 days 3, which sounded like negative information wrapped up in a very good-information sandwich. Barkley coming off the PUP record on Monday is a terrific sign, but it truly is telling the group previously has major doubts whether the star runner will be all set for the opener.
Clement, meanwhile, has reportedly outplayed Devontae Booker in a camp fight to be Barkley’s principal backup.
2) Colts mentor Frank Reich claimed it was a “honest query” to check with regardless of whether sixth-round rookie quarterback Sam Ehlinger is worthy of a even bigger job just after outplaying nominal starter Jacob Eason in exercise above the previous 7 days, in the wake of Carson Wentz’s foot operation.
Ehlinger is a awesome tale so significantly, but the simple fact that he’s reportedly going by his reads extra promptly than Eason, a next-year player, will not bode effectively for the Colts’ current set up. Viewing the younger young children for a preseason game or a few can make some perception, but I nonetheless anticipate the Colts to insert an additional veteran quarterback to the blend in advance of the regular period begins, presented Wentz’s uncertain recovery timetable.
3) A little something peculiar is up with C.J. Henderson, the toolsy Jaguars cornerback selected ninth all round in last year’s draft. Immediately after lacking the offseason and the get started of coaching camp to injuries and then the reserve/COVID-19 listing, Henderson was absent more than the weekend for particular challenges. ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler then described that the Jaguars could be listening to trade features for Henderson. Is this a case of a new coach (Urban Meyer) possessing a small fuse with a prior regime’s selection?
Henderson would unquestionably have a marketplace if available. Whether Henderson is eventually dealt or not, Tyson Campbell — the initially of two second-round picks for Meyer’s Jags in April — seems headed for a big position at corner with some versatility to perform inside of and out.
4) There is almost nothing to fear about when it arrives to Odell Beckham Jr.’s careful return to schooling camp, with the Browns enjoying it secure in phrases of OBJ not absolutely practicing every day or versus live defenses. With that disclaimer out of the way, Beckham’s a critical participant to look at in the future thirty day period as he ramps up action in hopes of playing Week 1. It can be possible he won’t be prepared for a comprehensive enhance of snaps proper absent.
5) At some level in coaching camp, a player’s absence goes from a slight concern to one particular with repercussions. That timeline moves a lot more rapidly with rookies. Which is why I presently have my doubts no matter if Vikings very first-round left tackle Christian Darrisaw and Bears next-round LT Teven Jenkins have already skipped far too a great deal time to commence 7 days 1.
Depth charts are generally introduced article-draft as if rookies solved roster holes. Then August actuality hits with either accidents or underperformance. Chad Graff of The Athletic thinks that Vikings deal with Rashod Hill could begin the opener above Darrisaw. 3rd-round guard Wyatt Davis, also seen as a opportunity starter for a troubled Minnesota line, has also potentially missed way too significantly time.
The Bears’ May perhaps launch of still left deal with Charles Leno Jr. was weird at the time and assumed Jenkins could choose around correct absent. It appears to be even stranger now, particularly with a rookie quarterback in Justin Fields envisioned to consider the industry at some place this calendar year. It really is challenging to know how and when to sound alarm bells for injuries. Bears veteran protection Eddie Jackson, a enormous section of the team’s protection, is however on the team’s non-football injuries record. The Bears had 27 gamers out of function at a recent apply. 20-seven!
6) The main muscle injury to Saints kicker Wil Lutz claimed by Rapoport sounds like it will knock Lutz out of the start of the time. The range of possible new 7 days 1 starters in New Orleans is up to 11.
7) The Miami Dolphins averted a protracted holdout with cornerback Xavien Howard by including some modest incentives to his 2021 season and guaranteeing a huge chunk of his 2022 salary. This compromise was comparable in some respects to how the Packers finished Aaron Rodgers’ standoff in Green Bay without the need of any truly “new money” in the agreement.
Howard’s December 2019 arrest for domestic violence — on expenses that were in the long run dropped when Howard’s fiancée stated she did not want to proceed with prosecution — did not appear to seriously impede his desire for an adjustment to his contract with 4 a long time remaining, but the restructure was largely beauty. Rapoport reports that the Dolphins produced an “assurance” to revisit the offer in the offseason centered on Howard’s performance and well being. That leaves home for Miami to do nothing if Howard will get hurt this period or his participate in declines, in which case the two sides could be at odds all over again.
8) The Patriots could have to give extra than assurances to Stephon Gilmore to get him again on the industry. New England’s best cornerback quietly remains on the PUP checklist coming off a severe quadriceps damage. He been given a one-12 months pay out bump in advance of the 2020 season and a very similar move could be coming for him in the coming months.
9) Patriots 2019 first-round pick N’Keal Harry will most likely constantly be known all-around Foxborough as the male Invoice Belichick drafted above A.J. Brown and Deebo Samuel, two likewise actual physical wideouts from his draft course. Harry’s described advancements in his 3rd training camp may assistance him make the 2021 squad, but I nonetheless really don’t see a route to a key role. Nelson Agholor, Jakobi Meyers, Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry (barring fallout from a the latest shoulder harm) and James White are all going to be forward of Harry in line for targets, with Kendrick Bourne also a variable. If everything, a robust preseason for Harry could make him far more tradable.
10) Texans 3rd-round decide on Nico Collins has played very well adequate to figure into the starting off blend out in Houston. Brandin Cooks could wind up taking part in on the inside a lot with Collins and Chris Conley out broad. Keke Coutee also figures to sneak into the rotation.
11) FOX’s broadcast of the Cowboys-Steelers Hall of Fame Sport gave us some context for Dak Prescott’s shoulder harm. Jay Glazer reported that Prescott’s damage was a lot more common in a baseball pitcher, so the team consulted medical doctors for the Texas Rangers. That appears considerably less than ideal. Troy Aikman, who understands how the Cowboys PR device will work superior than any individual, had this to say:
“The Cowboys are downplaying it, but I consider when your franchise quarterback is missing the amount of time he is missing, I are inclined to imagine it truly is in all probability a small bit far more sizeable than what they have led on.”
12) Josh Allen’s agreement in the end had more assures than Patrick Mahomes’ deal with the Chiefs, on the lookout like a five-yr, $164.5 million deal in advance of Buffalo could realistically move on. Even though which is riskier for the Bills in some respects, it also presents them a ton of leverage in any foreseeable future Allen renegotiations. If Allen stays a top-10 quarterback, he will be underpaid rather early in the agreement. I’m a minor stunned that youthful quarterbacks are so ready to lock in their versatility prolonged-expression like this when the clearest path to the best amount of cash — with the most leverage — is a shorter deal like Kirk Cousins’ pact or even Prescott’s offer.